10/11/2023Return to view all job openings
Works at Iowa Educational Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired (IESBVI) primarily within the Great Prairie Area Education Association area. Collaborates with Area Education Agencies (AEAs) and Local Education Agencies (LEAs), and using an itinerant model, the Orientation and Mobility (OMS) provides appropriate support and/or instruction to students with visual impairments, in their local schools, home settings, and community settings. To learn more about IESBVI see our webpage: www.iesbvi.org.
- Provides direct and consultative orientation and mobility services to students with visual impairments, in their local school, home, and community settings.
- Formulates appropriate educational objectives, activities, evaluation, goals, and instruction.
- Reports student growth and programs to parents periodically.
- Participates as a member of multidisciplinary teams; involved with evaluations; educational planning; development of Individualized Educational Plans (IEP); program implementation.
Schedule: Full-time, school year position; 189 day/school year. Requires regular travel through out the AEA.
Location: Work area is Great Prairie AEA with a potential office location in Ottumwa, Iowa
Pay Grade: Pay Plan 000, Pay Grade 35 (-10)
189 day contract per school year. Salary will be determined by the successful applicant’s educational and teaching experience. (BA degree - $49,661 - $77,051; MA degree - $58,294 - $89,878).
A successful candidate will bring or have the ability and desire to learn:
- Excellent communication skills with diverse groups
- Leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Create a positive environment for students and colleagues
- Adapt to ever changing work priorities
- Ability to travel throughout a designated region within Iowa on a daily basis.
- Masters degree in orientation and mobility
- Experience working with blind and visually impaired school-aged students;
- Work experience with special education students.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Collaborate with a team of teachers, support staff, and parents to support the education of blind and visually impaired children
- State vehicle, laptop, and cell phone provided for completion of work duties.
- Competitive salary and benefits package (Download PDF reader)
- Work within the Great Prairie AEA region with a potential office in Ottumwa, Iowa:
Bachelor’s degree in orientation and mobility plus experience using a computer and other office equipment required. Candidates must meet State of Iowa orientation and mobility specialist licensure requirements by the time of appointment. The ability to travel throughout a designated region within Iowa on a daily basis also required. Information on Iowa licensing requirements may be found at the Board of Educational Examiners webpage: https://boee.iowa.gov/
Information on Iowa licensing requirements may be found at the Board of Educational Examiners webpage: www.state.ia.us/boee/.
Iowa Educational Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired (IESBVI) is an agency dedicated to providing services for blind and visually impaired students birth to age 21 in the state of Iowa. Our employees are state of Iowa employees under Iowa's Department of Education with a full comprehensive benefits package from Iowa Department of Administrative Services. Our primary support administration offices are located in Council Bluffs, IA. IESBVI works in close collaborative with the nine Area Education Agencies (AEA) across the state of Iowa. Candidates with COMS certification are eligible for an additional stipend. Currently a Signing and Retention Bonus is being offered for this faculty position. Email [email protected] for additional details.