Anchor Center for Blind Children
08/29/2023Return to view all job openings
Purpose of Position
The Teacher of Students with Visual Impairment (TSVI) works as a key member of the highly collaborative transdisciplinary team to meet the educational goals of all children served by Anchor Center. This person provides other therapists with basic knowledge and expertise specific to young children with visual impairments in areas of vision, orientation and mobility and literacy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Assess functional vision and developmental skills, provide ongoing support and resources to families and children, design and carryout instruction and parent education
· Participate in the development of educational plans for each child.
· Support student transition to other settings
· Provide educational information about young children with visual impairments to the community as requested and as able.
· Consult and collaborate with other early intervention team members including in medical and outreach settings.
· Will become proficient in use of Anchor Center’s database system.
· Provide written reports and attend IFSP’s and IEP’s as appropriate
· Attend Anchor Center fundraising and family events as desired and able
· Meet regularly with director and team
Other Duties and Responsibilities
(Preschool) Center-based Program
· Team with all program staff to provide an optimal learning environment for each child attending Anchor Center
· Develop, with other team members, literacy-based curriculum for center-based classes on a monthly and daily basis.
· Within Anchor Center’s budget obtain and utilize necessary resources for classroom activities that are developmentally appropriate
· Assist in the coordination of appropriate classroom groups
· Meet with parents of students at least twice a year to discuss parents’ concerns and priorities for their children.
· Maintain appropriate certifications.
· Keep communication open with team and families
Home visits/Infant Toddler Program
· Maintain organization’s vehicle within the boundaries of Anchor Center’s policies or have reliable personal transportation to complete duties
· Manage a reasonable geographic caseload of children seen in their homes or day settings.
· Complete necessary training as required by EI Colorado and Federal Guidelines.
· Complete appropriate monthly progress notes for each child.
· Establish relationships with CCBs and complete necessary paperwork, attend required trainings, and communicate with student’s Service Coordinators.
Education & Experience
· Certification or degree in education of students with visual impairments
· Minimum of two years experience teaching and working with children birth through five years with vision impairment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Prefer ACVREP certification in Orientation and Mobility
· Prefer certification in Early Childhood Special Education or Early Childhood Education
· Prefer experience and expertise in early intervention
· Knowledge of young children with medical fragility and sensory needs desired
· Experience providing parent education and support for families
· Flexible work style is needed
· Provide “best-practice” expertise, experience and leadership for children with visual impairments and their families.
· Familiarity (or) experience with assessment tools that address the unique needs of young children with visual impairments
· Educational/classroom environment including children with limited or no vision and frequent parent/family visits
· Able to lift up to 40 pounds
· Able to participate in floor time and maneuver equipment/materials (with assistance if necessary for safety purposes) for use in programming.
Anchor Center proudly offers:
-Rewarding career--witness children (ages birth-5) achieve milestones and watch their progress
-Work with caregivers & families to nurture and facilitate children's independence
-Work with supportive transdisciplinary team of TSVIs, Therapists and Early Childhood Educators
-Participate in cutting-edge research-based programming
-Interact with our on-side Pediatric Eye Clinic
-Flexible hours with option for in-person and remote
-Generous health/dental benefits and retirement contribution for full-time employees
-Ability to enjoy all that beautiful Colorado has to offer!